A while back (when I was too broke to afford real presents for people) I gave friends and family coupons for baked items of their choice as gifts. Well, my sister came across one (In my mind she scoured for days to find it…I need to tell myself this). She cashed it for Mini Vanilla Bean Doughnuts, which I was happy to oblige!
Full disclosure, I had never worked with fresh vanilla bean before. But there is something mesmerizing about it and all of its speckled glory…
Mini Vanilla Bean Doughnuts
- 2 2/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup melted, unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp melted, unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2-3 Tbsp milk
- Food coloring of your choice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and butter doughnut pan and set aside
- Mix together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- With an electric mixer blend together melted butter, sugar, vegetable oil and vanilla bean seeds until smooth consistency (approx. 30 sec – 1 min)
- Blend in one egg at a time and vanilla extract
- Begin adding dry ingredients and milk, alternating between, starting and ending with flour mixture. Combine well.
- Fill doughnut wells. I used a piping bag and open tip to help fill the wells cleanly. Fill them approximately 1/2 to 3/4 full because these suckers puff up dramatically.
- Bake 5-7 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
- For the glaze wisk together powdered sugar, melted butter, vanilla and salt
- Add one Tbsp of milk at a time until reach desired consistently.
- Add desired food coloring. Consistently mix glaze to prevent shell from forming. If needed place glaze in microwave for a few seconds.
- Dip surface of of doughnut into glaze until surface covered and add sprinkles
- Makes about 5-6 dozen minis
Recipe Credit: Cooking Classy
The crumb on this doughnut is amazing! Perfectly moist and spongey texture.
Here are my pretties! They are are equal parts tiny adorableness and deliciousness
These colorful cuties were delightful and I will definitely be making them again!